Monday, January 23, 2012

Culpepper and Sarah J. Stewart

My addiction with genealogy began after retiring from a law enforcement career.  I began photographing tombstones of some of my ancestors at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church Cemetery in New Salem, Union County, NC.  I knew one set of grandparents were there, but I wasn't sure who else.  I found a grave site for 

Culpepper Stewart
Born 
Apr. 23, 1838
Died
Jan. 8, 1899


On the opposite side of his head stone is the name 

Sarah J. Stewart
 Born 
July 28, 1838
Died 
Sep. 13, 1914


While looking at this marker I vaguely remembered my mother talking about Culpepper, so he must be an ancestor.  (I've gotten very good at kicking myself for not listening to her, and asking questions when I had the chance!)  It turns out Culpepper and Sarah Jane Nance Stewart are my maternal 2nd Great Grandparents.  This was only the beginning...


I was fortunate to have an ancestor with the first name of Culpepper.  Being an unusual first name made it easier to begin my research.  I quickly learned Culpepper's father was Joseph Stewart, and he left a will in Union County in 1866.  I began searching for the burial site of Joseph, but I have not found it.  

During my search I have located many old stones in long forgotten family grave yards.  These sites are not in well manicured areas.  They are in woods, in fields, or in backyards.  Some of the stones have weathered the test of time, while others are damaged, and the rest are lost forever.  

For me, these sites are the most satisfying to locate and photograph...before they all disappear. 

I am beginning this blog to present these old graves so they may not be forgotten.  I intend to post one or two tombstones at a time along with a brief biography if known.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment